The curls are certainly beautiful, but it can be quite difficult to tame them, especially on a bad hair day. Sometimes even the strongest gels do not work on your curls, leaving them unmanageable. If you are willing to try to change your appearance, a good option could be to straighten your curly hair. Straight hair is the ‘in’ look these days, and if you follow current trends, you know that you should definitely give curly hair to straight hair, try it.
Most women think twice before straightening curly hair, as they are worried about the damage. But with the right technique, equipment, and method, you can surely achieve the straight look without much damage. Here are some methods that are sure to straighten your curly hair.
How To Straighten Curly Hair
Method 1: Use a Straightening Iron
If you use a good quality iron and take good care of yourself, you can straighten your hair without much damage. The most important point to remember while using an iron is temperature. If you have a good quality hair straightener, you will have the option to adjust the temperature.
Adjust the temperature according to your hair type. For thin or slightly damaged hair, use a temperature of 250 to 300 degrees F. For average hair thickness, use 300 to 350 degrees F and for thick, coarse or frizzy hair, use 350 to 400 degrees F. Follow these simple steps to Straighten the hair with an iron.
- Wash your hair thoroughly and blow-dry
- Apply a heat protection spray
- Properly divide your hair into small sections and layers.
- Set your straightening iron to the correct and apt temperature
- Start straightening your hair with the lowest layer (just above your neck).
- Immediately stop if you see your hair starts to sizzle.
- Examine in a mirror to make sure you haven’t missed out any layer or section.
- If you are done with straightening, apply any good quality finishing product such as hairspray or fixe
Method 2: Hair Straightening Using Milk
- Milk works like a miracle for curly hair.
- Take an old spray bottle and pour milk into it.
- Spray it onto your dry hair.
- Let it work for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Now wash it off.
Method 3: Use Milk & Honey
- Take 1 cup milk and add honey to it.
- Mix it well to create a good paste.
- Add banana to make it more thick and effective.
- Bananas are good moisturizers for hair.
- Apply this paste on your hair and let it work for 1 hour or more.
- Wait till it completely dries out.
- Now wash it off with shampoo.
Method 4: Olive Oil to Straighten Curly Hair
This is yet another effective and natural method for hair straightening. Olive oil helps a lot in the process of straightening your hair naturally.
- Take two eggs.
- Beat them.
- Add a suitable amount of olive oil.
- Mix it well.
- Apply it covering your hair properly.
- Let it work for 45 minutes.
- Now wash it off with shampoo.
This may not give you instant results. But if you do this at least 2 – 3 times a week, you will see great results after a month.
Method 5: Coconut Milk for Hair Straightening
The best thing to straighten your hair naturally is coconut milk.
- Pour 1 cup of coconut milk in a bowl.
- Squeeze half a lemon into it.
- Mix well.
- Put this mixture in the fridge for an hour.
- Now apply it, covering your hair.
- Take a towel and heat it up using a dryer for a few minutes.
- Wrap this warm towel around your head. This will help to soak in the nutrients.
Now simply wash your hair after 35-50 minutes.
The mixtures mentioned above are some effective ways to straighten curly hair. The most common method is to use a straightener, while the other four are simpler methods of straightening hair made at home. But these natural ways of straightening hair are very effective. They do not have any side effects on your hair.