Do you find it difficult to get out of bed every morning? Are there moments in your day when your energy seems to be delayed? If you find yourself looking for your second or third cup of coffee and it is only mid-afternoon, try to reach an essential oil this time.
Essential oils can help invigorate your senses and make you feel revitalized and energetic, leading to greater productivity. Used for thousands of years, essential oils are prized for their medicinal properties and have a powerful effect on a small bottle! Only a few drops of these powerful natural aromatics that are obtained from the flowers, leaves, seeds and bark of plants can shake you again when you feel exhausted.
1. ORANGE ESSENTIAL OIL
The essential oil of orange smells the same, you guessed it, fresh, acid, orange. With a powerful and uplifting aroma, orange oil has shown benefits to create feelings of happiness that can improve energy levels. A study conducted at Mei University in Japan documented that when orange oil was administered, patients could radically reduce the amount of antidepressant medication they were on.
HOW TO USE ORANGE ESSENTIAL OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Add to your diffuser: Do you need an immediate energy boost? Spread a few drops of orange essential oil to elevate instantly and improve concentration.
2. Inhale directly: Directly inhale orange oil to awaken the senses and re-focus on an important task.
2. LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
Not as potent as orange oil, but with a sweet and tangy scent, lemon oil is perfect to give you the kick you need, without being too overly powerful. According to Chinese Medicine, lemon oil is known to promote energy flow in the body. It works really well for helping you to re-focus and concentrate after working or studying for long hours.
HOW TO USE LIME OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Add to your diffuser: Lemon essential oil is perhaps best used in a diffuser to invigorate the mood. It also helps to cleanse the air while at it!
3. GRAPEFRUIT ESSENTIAL OIL
With an acid, sparkling and clarifying scent, grapefruit essential oil is an excellent stress reliever and is very beneficial in reducing mental fatigue. In fact, most citrus oils such as grapefruit essential oil are clinically proven to normalize “neuroendocrine hormone levels and immune function,” and were found to be “more effective than antidepressants.”
HOW TO USE GRAPEFRUIT ESSENTIAL OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Add to your diffuser: It may be better to use it in a diffuser, you will be surprised by how you feel after a long day at work.
2. Apply topically: add a few drops to a cotton ball along with a little carrier oil such as jojoba oil (a light oil that is quickly absorbed into the skin) and rub the mixture on the wrists and neck.
3. Add to your shower: Do you need a quick energy boost? Add a few drops of grapefruit oil in the shower and cover the drain. Inhale deeply to obtain the full medicinal benefits.
4. PEPPERMINT ESSENTIAL OIL
Peppermint essential oil is an all-rounder when it comes to medicinal properties. It’s active ingredient and high concentration of menthol contribute it to being a natural antibacterial, analgesic (pain reliever), antiviral and anti-fungal. Its strong, invigorating minty aroma makes it excellent for boosting both mental and physical vitality. It has not only shown to positively improve exercise performance but it can also help improve concentration and fight fatigue caused by overeating and sluggish digestion.
HOW TO USE PEPPERMINT OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Add to your diffuser: Diffuse peppermint essential oil to help you stay alert and concentrate. Great for studying or delivering a project on deadline!
2. Apply topically: Add 1 drop of rosehip oil (excellent for facial skin) to 1 drop of peppermint essential oil and rub under the nose for an immediate wake me up. You can also apply it to the base of your neck and shoulders to maintain energy levels throughout the day.
3. Inhale directly: A brilliant stimulant, inhale peppermint oil before working out to feel energetic and less lethargic.
5. EUCALYPTUS ESSENTIAL OIL
Eucalyptus oil is another generator of healing properties, and its main compound kinin is attributed to having more than a thousand research studies published in its name. A 2010 study documented that eucalyptus oil is an effective “anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic” and also “immunostimulant”. Its ability to support a favorable immune response means that it can profoundly affect the energy levels in the body.
HOW TO USE EUCALYPTUS OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Cold relief: if you feel fatigued by a cold and you are congested, eucalyptus oil can help you get through your day. Add a few drops to a hot shower and cover the drain. Inhale the vapor to open your airways and elevate your mood at the same time!
2. Apply topically: rub a few drops of eucalyptus oil directly on the temples (be careful not to put it in the eyes), wrists, feet and sore muscles and let the tingling and freshness effect soothe your muscles after a long day.
3. Inhale directly: breathe deeply directly from the bottle for the blink of an eye instantly.
4. Add to your diffuser: spread a few drops and let the stimulating menthol molecules flow through the air, providing an energizing aromatherapy instantly.
6. ROSEMARY ESSENTIAL OIL
Feeling a fatigue attack coming on? Rosemary essential oil can help. A 2010 study in the Journal of The Neurological Sciences revealed that those who suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome have reduced cerebral blood flow. Rosemary oil contains 1.8 cineole and has shown to increase blood flow to the cerebrum, improving alertness. The oil is also an excellent stimulant and helps fight low energy.
A 2012 research study published in the Therapeutic Advances In Pharmacology journal documented that participants who inhaled rosemary essential oil improved cognitive abilities and felt more content.
HOW TO USE ROSEMARY OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Inhale Directly: Deeply inhaling rosemary oil directly from the bottle or from a cotton ball soaked in a few drops of the oil is the best way to get the most optimum benefits of the oil.
2. Add to your diffuser: Diffuse 4-5 drops of rosemary oil to eliminate mental fatigue and get the positive energy you need to get things done.
7. LEMONGRASS ESSENTIAL OIL
Did I think lemongrass was just to add that exotic flavor to food? Well, this culinary herb can do much more. The fresh, earthy and invigorating scent of lemongrass oil rises instantly and can help balance the energy and clear the mind.
HOW TO USE LEMONGRASS OIL FOR ENERGY:
Apply topically: mix 2-3 drops of lemongrass oil with 1 teaspoon. of jojoba oil or tamanu (incredible for the skin) and massage at the temples. Ideal for a quick energy boost before training to motivate you!
8. FRANKINCENSE ESSENTIAL OIL
Do you get that feeling of anxiousness at times? Or perhaps you get bouts of low energy levels coupled with low moods – if this is you, frankincense essential oil might be just what the doctor ordered. A gentle, subtle but powerful oil, frankincense might not be as strong as the citrusy and minty oils on our list but it has a lifting, lingering, long-lasting aroma that can have positive effects on the limbic system and balance your energy levels.
Rich in sesquiterpenes, molecules that can cross the blood-brain barrier, frankincense essential oil can help alleviate the unpleasant effects of both anxiety and depression helping boost energy levels.
HOW TO USE FRANKINCENSE OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Apply topically: Rub 1-2 drops of frankincense oil to your wrists, below the feet and on the neck. You can also dilute it with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil or argan oil (deeply moisturizing) and use as a full body massage oil to balance nervous energy and promote positive energy.
2. Add to your diffuser: Add a few drops of frankincense oil to your diffuser to help soothe, calm, balance and uplift your mood and energy levels.
9. LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL
Probably one of the most popular and complete essential oils, the aroma of lavender oil can actually slow down the nervous system to promote relaxation. How can this help your energy levels? Well, as lavender oil can soothe the body and mind, it not only helps increase concentration and focus, it also improves mood. Lavender essential oil is also excellent for reducing stress and calming agitation, which can generate a lot of extra energy. A known sleep enhancer, lavender oil works especially well for insomniacs, and a better night’s sleep will make you feel fresh the next morning.
HOW TO USE LAVENDER OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Inhale directly: rub 3-4 drops of lavender oil on your palms, place your hands on your face and breathe deeply. In a matter of seconds, the aroma enters the amygdala, the brain’s emotion control center, and provides immediate calm and relaxation.
2. Apply topically: when a tension headache hits rub 2-3 drops of lavender oil at the temples. You can also massage the wrists and under the feet to promote a quick absorption, ideal for a good night’s rest.
3. Add to your diffuser: Spread 4-5 drops of lavender oil in the air when faced with a deadline or a stressful situation. This can calm the mind and allow for better concentration and improved energy levels to carry out a task.
10. CEDARWOOD ESSENTIAL OIL
Cedarwood oil is great for relieving stress and tension and has a calming effect on the mind. The aroma of cedarwood encourages the release of serotonin, which helps to stabilize moods. Cedarwood oil also stimulates the pineal gland and the brain’s limbic region which promotes the release of melatonin. This helps you to fall asleep, improves your sleep quality, and makes you feel more energetic the next day.
HOW TO USE CEDARWOOD OIL FOR ENERGY:
1. Inhale directly: Inhale from the bottle or rub a few drops into your palms and cup your palms to your face and breathe deeply. You can also put 1-2 drops on your wrists or a handkerchief.
2. Add to your diffuser: Add a few drops in your diffuser an hour or so before you put the lights out to set the mood for a goodnight’s sleep.